TITLE: Oppose 5G
SPONSORS: GRP Co-chair Maha Visnu and CDLC member Maureen Doyle
COSPONSORS: GRP Statecom members David Rolde, Jed Stamas and Joshua Gerloff.
FLOOR MANAGER: Maureen Doyle.
PROPOSAL: I strongly encourage the GRP demand a moratorium on 5G implementation in Massachusetts until a full, extensive and independent assessment of the technology is completed and public hearings are conducted. There are too many questions that are left unanswered. To answer some of the questions posed here, 5G is more of a threat than 3G or 4G in that 5G will carry a weaker signal therefore requiring more transceivers to transmit them between users and devices.
The fact that a corporate product will be everywhere and that each municipality will be required to accommodate it (when each city or town has other responsibilities to ALL of its citizens like public buildings (such as libraries), public infrastructure and transportation, public services such as public works departments, schools, police, and fire, etc). The public services NEED to take priority over a corporate product! In addition to the required earthly transceivers, there will be more hardware in space.
SUMMARY: We oppose this 5G based on the 10 Key Values of the Green Party:
1. Grassroots Democracy: Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect his or her life; no one should be subject to the will of another.
5G is being implemented by corporate interests and society has no say over its implementation. According to Katie Singer, author of The Electronic Silent Spring, the initial version of the Telecommunications Act (1934) said that companies could do whatever they wanted without harming human health or the environment . This protection was removed from the Telecommunications Act of 1996, Section 704. That section, in relevant part, states: “no state or local governmental entity may regulate the placement, construction, or modification of personal wireless service facilities on the basis of environmental effects of radio frequency emissions to the extent that such emissions comply with FCC regulations.”
2. Ecological Wisdom: Human societies must operate with the understanding that we are part of and not separate from nature. We must maintain an ecological balance and live within the ecological and resource limits of our communities and our planet.
This system would NOT respect the ecological balance of various ecosystems, massively increasing air pollution and ozone destruction from launching the 42,000 5G satellites (before this, there were only about 1,700 total satellites of all kinds in the sky), and exacerbating mining pollution due to required material. Furthermore, even proponents admit it will require significantly more numerous transmission devices than current cell systems because the 5G signal has a much shorter range.
3. Personal and Global Responsibility: We encourage individuals to act to improve their personal well being and, at the same time, to enhance ecological balance and social harmony. We seek to join with people and organizations around the world to foster peace, economic justice, and the health of the planet.
5G is intended to enable the Internet of Things (IoT), and "Smart Cities", which enable a level of surveillance and security threat the enormity of which is hard to grasp by ordinary members of the public. Even a US general and senior director at the National Security Council, warned of "weaponized cities", of self-driving cars or remote medical devices being taken over via 5G.[1,2] With cell phone towers in approximately every third home or telephone pole, everyone (human, other animal and plant) is vulnerable to the radiation emitted. The minerals (coltan, lithium and copper, to name a few) and fossil fuels (including coal, oil and fracked natural gas) required to maintain this system will be immense, not only for the visible parts of the system, but even more so for the massive data centers needed to store the information. The increased burning of fossil fuels will increase global climate change. Everyone will be affected by the mining and this overall environmental effect. Because the 5G signal doesn't penetrate buildings and trees very well, close-range exposure from multiple sources to humans, trees, and all living systems around us will happen. The detrimental effects of electromagnetic radiation on living organisms have been well documented [3-10], while the FCC has been a captured agency by the telecom industry, whose representative has admitted during congressional testimony, that there has “never been any safety studies done on 5G."
4. Nonviolence: It is essential that we develop effective alternatives to our current patterns of violence at all levels, from the family on the streets to nations and the world.
The resources that this 5G system will depend on (oil, natural gas, many rare and non-rare metals and minerals) will be immense. As many resources are being fought over presently and are often concentrated in limited parts of the world, this system will cause such conflict to increase, particularly to the detriment of the Global South and the world’s ecosystem.
5. Social Justice and Equal Opportunity: All persons should have the rights and opportunity to benefit equally from the resources afforded us by society and the environment.
This 5G system will equally affect all beings on the planet but not all beings will benefit. From an economic standpoint, this system will help further increase the divide between “haves” and “have-nots,” for at least two reasons: 1) the cost of the phones and monthly service are likely to be out of reach of many middle- and working-class citizens, and 2) any use of public resources, if that happens, will draw funds away from community services that benefit all citizens to benefit a few. In addition ,the massively increased quantity of data transmitted over the airwaves using 5G necessitates a global electricity consumption increase of at least several folds, which will increase fossil fuel burning and worsen global warming. It will also severely interfere with global climate modeling, according to NOAA, NASA and the US Navy. This will add further burdens to community resources and increase health effects to humans and other animals.
6. Decentralization: Therefore, we support a restructuring of social, political, and economic institutions away from a system that is controlled by and mostly benefits the powerful few, to a democratic, less bureaucratic system. Decision-making should, as much as possible, remain at the individual and local level, while valuing community and assuring that civil rights are protected for all citizens.
This 5G system is one that is controlled by a few for their own profit. Several federal entities sent the Federal Communications Commission (FCC ) letters opposing 5G, including the Defense Dept, NASA and NOAA, on the grounds that it is likely to interfere with obtaining information from satellites necessary for GPS systems, weather prediction and other uses we depend on. (This is not a statement in favor of the military, but that major organizations also oppose it because it has too many unknowns.)
7. Community Based Economics: We support independently-owned and -operated companies which are socially responsible, as well as co-operatives and public enterprises that spread out resources and control to more people through democratic participation.
This system does not lend itself to these goals. It is by definition controlled by private, for-profit, Wall Street-dominated corporations who are using the Telecom Act to force themselves into communities without giving those communities any significant chance to even say what we want, never mind oppose it.
8. Feminism: We have inherited a social system based on male domination of politics and economics.
This 5G system allows intrusion of this corporate aspect into all parts of our lives.
9. Respect for Diversity: We acknowledge and encourage respect for other life forms and the preservation of biodiversity.
5G does not respect other life forms and will use whatever it needs to accomplish its goals. Even major media have reported that researchers are worried our existing communications radiation is killing bees, birds and other wildlife. 5G is likely to make that worse and “safe limits of electromagnetic radiation have not been determined, let alone applied” (Newsweek, 5/19/18). Given the constant barrage of evidence that we’re in the middle of the 6th Extinction, we cannot afford to add more stressors to an already hard-hit ecosystem we rely on for life.
10. Future Focus and Sustainability: Our actions and policies should be motivated by long-term goals that protect valuable natural resources, … while developing a sustainable economics that does not depend on continual expansion for survival. We must counter-balance the drive for short-term profits by assuring that economic development, new technologies, and fiscal policies are beneficial to the future generations who will inherit the results of our actions.
This 5G technology uses short term goals and resource use, presenting no plan for how it will help future earth species or humans. This is one of many places where the Native American concept of considering the 7th generation is crucial. Given our track record for technology in the last century or so, it is highly likely the 5G system will be scrapped for the “next great thing” in the near future, meaning the resources used to build it are wasted, leaving our descendants that much poorer.
As verbiage in the Ecological Wisdom Key Value says: “We support a sustainable society that utilizes resources in such a way that future generations will benefit and not suffer from the practices of our generation. “ We need to “ live in ways that respect the integrity of natural systems” and there are too many unknown effects from the 5G system for us to embrace it.
FINANCIAL IMPACT: None.
IMPLEMENTATION: Opposition can include a statement on the website, letters to various media, contacting state and federal legislators and local officials, and direct action if necessary. This opposition needs to include that the GRP demand a moratorium on 5G implementation in the state of Massachusetts until a full, extensive and independent assessment of the technology is completed and public hearings are conducted.
1971 report by the US Naval Medical Research Center, containing a bibliography of over 2,300 research articles of what electromagnetic radiation can do to our bodies and brains - read pages 7-11 that list them.
Lecture by Paul Ben-Ishai, PhD, of the Department of Physics, Hebrew University, Israel, detailed how human sweat ducts act like an array of helical antennas when exposed to millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths of 5G, just as with the Active Denial crowd control system:
More presentations from the 2017 Expert Forum on Wireless Radiation And Human Health, sponsored by the Israel Institute for Advanced Study and the Environmental Health Trust With Support from National Institutes of Health/ National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences and Dr. Lucy Waletzky, including slides from the presentations
In December 2018, former Michigan State Senator Patrick Colbeck hosted a Wireless Technology Forum to inform voters. These are free to view on his youtube channel (composed of short talks by experts, each around 10 minutes)
Donald Trump and Bill Gates seem to have gotten themselves an exemption: