Scroll down to review or submit proposals for the April 15th meeting. Please use the following format (you can cut and paste):
Proposal Header and Preamble
- proposal title: short version
- proposal sponsors (2 required, 1st serves as floor manager)
- contact info for floor manager
- committees to which proposal has been sent for review and feedback
- explanatory background
- proposal summary
- financial impact
- implementation: who will do what, when, where and how?
Confirmation of Party By-Laws
Proposal Name and Sponsors
- short title: GRP Bylaws
- proposal sponsors: Anthony Barrows, Claribel Santiago (co-chairs), Merelice (for subcommittee)
- floor manager: Merelice
- committees to which proposal has been sent for review and feedback: ad-com, state committee
On instruction from state committee, a subcommittee was formed to
- compile all known updates, modifications and additions (such as section 12 and Appendix A) to the bylaws made by state committee since the last publication of the bylaws as a whole
- to distribute updated copies of the bylaws in their entirety for confirmation by StateCom
- State commitee also voted to not consider any new changes to the bylaws until after this task was completed, and the updated copy of the full bylaws was confirmed.
Ad-com will arrange for the fully updated bylaws to be posted in their entirety on the party website.
Click here to read and review the updated bylaws awaiting confirmation by State Committee on 4/15/2012
For convenience of state committee members (and to draw it to their attention), the work of the bylaw subcommittee has been posted as a proposal, but it fact it is the final step in the implementation of an already adopted proposal, and will actually be taken up as urgent business.
Establishment of a Participation Fund
TITLE: Establlshment of a Participation Fund
SPONSORS: John Andrews (manager), Isabel Espinal, Mike Heichman
CONTACT: John Andrews, [email protected], Tel. 781-862-6498
COMMITTEE VETTING: AdCom, Fundraising, Membership
State Committee endorses the creation of a special Participation Fund to defray the costs of participation for low-income members attending the Green Party national convention and possibly other future party events.
In order to assist our lower income members in fully participating in and representing our party at the upcoming Green Party national convention in Baltimore, we need some mechanism for defraying the expenses of attendance for those delegates who find the travel expenses to be a hardship. Four persons who have applied to be GRP delegates to the Green Party convention in July have requested such financial assistance. The minimum cost of attending has been estimated at $800.
To address the above issues, the Administrative Committee has established a Participation Fund that can be used to defray expenses for low income members who would otherwise be discouraged from participating in party activities. This Fund is created as a bookkeeping entry in the GRP budget software.
The initial use of this Fund would be to support our delegation to the 2012 convention, but the Fund could continue to be used for future party activities.
Although AdCom has already acted under its normal budgetary authority, this proposal asks State Committee to endorse the concept of such a fund, and ensure that it would be given consideration as a continuing provision.
TEXT OF PROPOSAL:
StateCom endorses the creation of a Participation Fund to assist low income members for whom the costs of participation in Party activities could be a hardship. This Fund should be managed as a bookkeeping entry within the GRP bookkeeping system. AdCom is instructed to establish written guidelines for the use of this fund. AdCom and the Fundraising Director are instructed to seek special donations for this fund and to place money in the Fund as appropriate after considering all budgeting priorities. AdCom is asked to report to State Committee on the operation of this Fund and on how well this Fund is achieving its purpose.
BUDGET IMPLICATIONS: AdCom will set the parameters that will determine the budget for the Fund. Currently AdCom has set a target of $1600 to be available in July 2012, with much of this derived from special fundraising.
IMPLEMENTATION: AdCom will announce the formation of the Participation Fund and will solicit matching funds. The Treasurer will create a special entry in the GRP bookkeeping system. CDLC will notify the delegates to the 2012 Green Party convention that some assistance will be available through the fund.
Growing the GRP with our GRP T-shirts
- short title: GRP T-Shirts
- Shirley Kressel, Mike Heichman
- floor manager: Shirley Kressel, [email protected]
- for consideration by Adcom, Fundraising Committee, ComCom, Membership & Diversity Comm, Local Chapters & Treasurer
We want to grow our party. We want our party to become more visible and respected for our work. We often go to events where organizations, who have members with T-Shirts, stand out in the crowd; even a small number indicate the presences of a larger organization. We need our own GRP T-Shirt.
- The Party will spend no more than $1,000 for our first order.
- The goal will be for the party to raise at least $500 for the t-shirts.
- We will ask our members, and invite supporters, to purchase the t-shirts at cost, and encourage those who can to make an additional contribution for our low-income active members who desire to have a t-shirt.
- Low income members who are active members of the State Party and/or local chapters will be asked to make a contribution for the t-shirts. However, no active member will be excluded from having a t-shirt because of income.
- Through our e-mail lists, we will recruit a special task force which will design a GRP T-Shirt and find a company or a group of creative people that will make our product
- This committee will make a recommendation to Adcom, who will approve the design and company.
- We will use our party's network (ComCom, Membership and Diversity Comm, Local Chapters, etc.) and encourage our members and general public to purchase and wear our t-shirts.
- Six months after the selling of the first t-shirt, we will seek feedback about the successes and failures of this investment.
The GRP will create our own t-shirts and encourage our members and supporters to purchase and wear them.
END OF PROPOSAL
Note added [NF]: The Green Party of the U.S. has recently started offering a T-shirt for sale through Wired For Change. A sample is shown here. https://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/175/shop/item.jsp?storefront_KEY=4&t=&store_item_KEY=821
Initiatives Mini-Summit at Summer StateCom Meeting
Title: Initiatives Mini-Summit at Summer StateCom Meeting
Sponsors: Merelice, Isabel Espinal
Contact Info: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
No committee vetting
In April of 2011, the GRP held an initiatives summit. Individuals and Local Chapters had submitted lists of possible initiatives for the party to focus on statewide. While all the submissions were considered important, it was agreed that the GRP needed to set priorities. Four initiatives were selected: Better Budget, Green and Just Economy, Peace, Single-Payer Health Care. These were subsequently adopted by the State Committee and a fifth was added: Immigrant Rights and Civil Liberties.
One purpose was to help candidates and local chapters reinforce a statewide consistent image of the GRP and what it stands for. A “Guidance Document” was supplied to coordinators and local chapters by the Administrative Committee.
The State Committee would like to have an initiatives mini-summit (minimum of one hour) at its Summer 2012 meeting. The purpose would be to review the initiatives, what steps have been taken, and how they can be resuscitated and incorporated into the Green-Rainbow Party’s Local Chapters, candidate campaigns, working committees, etc.
Budget Impact: For the mini-summit, no impact.
The Administrative Committee and meeting co-facilitators will prepare this portion of the State Committee meeting, asking for any further thoughts from those who participated in the original initiatives summit and subsequent activities.