Great Annual Convention
Welcome our newly elected officers!
We still need a few dedicated volunteers to fill our leadership roles
Report from David Spanagel
A total of 23 ballots were cast by eligible voters for party leadership offices and GPUS national delegate positions. Ranked Choice Voting was used to determine who could fill each of the elected positions. This meant that a minimum of 12 votes formed a majority that was required to seat anyone in a position.
ELECTION RESULTS AND CONVENTION AGENDA MAY BE FOUND HERE!
Check out the live-streamed events at the Convention:
View Jill Stein's Keynote Address
View the morning session here.
View the afternoon session here
A multitude of speakers and workshops addressed several major issues facing Massachusetts.
- Improving the water quality of our communities
- Pushing for a MA single-payer healthcare system
- Affordable housing, enforced basic standards of living, and rent control
- Reaffirming women’s reproductive rights
Solar Installations Can Be Deadly
Jill Stein and her Lexington neighbors testify against a large solar project in a wooded area onMay 4th.
The 1 megawatt solar project, proposed by private developer Tracer Lane II Realty, LLC, would be located in a forested area in Lexington adjacent to the Cambridge Reservoir and a residential neighborhood in Waltham. Opponents say the project would require cutting down approximately 800 trees and could endanger the drinking water supply for 120,000 residents of Cambridge if toxins including lead and cadmium from the panels leach into the groundwater or spread in smoke plumes in the case of a fire.https://lexobserver.org/2023/03/30/a-reader-expresses-concerns-about-environmental-and-safety-issues-related-to-the-tracer-lane-solar-project/
We Can Save Billions of Dollars and Improve Lives
Medicare for All Lobby Day held on May 4th
An Act Establishing Medicare for All in Massachusetts!
Lobby Day again has been a great chance to participate in democracy at the state level by organizing Medicare for All supporters from around the Commonwealth. Mass-Care helped at least 20 teams to meet with state legislators from logistics to the details of the bill. Lead legislators shared inspiring stories at the preliminary assembly before the supporters dispersed to the office of individual legislators. GRP Co-Chair Lois Gagnon led a team to meet with her legislator, as other Greens meet with their legislators.
P.S. Learn More about Medicare for All at the May 6th GRP Annual Convention
DR Pat Berger, of the Physicians for National Healthcare Program (PNHP), will review the compelling need for a just healthcare program in Massachusetts, while Lois Gagnon and others will report back on the May 4th Lobby Day.
Workers Uniting for Peace on May Day
David Barkley of the Green-Rainbow Party was among the other speakers
May Day, May 1st, at the Parkman Bandstand on Boston Common
4:30 PM Music & 5:00 PM Rally
We will celebrated May Day 2023, to honor workers worldwide. Our participants stood up for workers' resistance to employment injustice and for government attacks on our rights and interests. Stand up for an end to the war machine that steals our resources and kills our people.
Current cosponsors for Downtown Boston event:
Boston May Day Coalition,
Green Rainbow Party of Massachusetts,
Cambridge City Growers,
New Democracy Coalition,
United American Indians of New England, Refuse Fascism,
Boston Education Justice Alliance,
Jewish Voice for Peace, and many others
Save our Earth on Earth Day 2023 and Every Day
We have only one earth. Step out and speak up. Greens joined others across Massachusetts to stand out and to write letters to their representatives. Check out the Green Party's EcoAction page.
Demand Demilitarization for People, Planet and Peace
Friday, April 21st at 3:30 PM in Boston City Hall Plaza
Earth Day: In Love and Rage
No New Fossil Fuel Infrastructure in Massachusetts
Rally, March, and Party sponsored by Extinction Rebellion, Boston May Day Coalition, and others
Saturday, April 22nd at Boston's Park Street Station,
We Cannot End Climate Change without Ending War
War is Not Green
Rally sponsored by Code Pink, Green-Rainbow Party, and others
Celebrate Earth Day/Arbor Day
at Wells State Park, Sturbridge MA
April 22, 11 AM - 4 PM
sponsored by Grassroots Central MASS
Visit with Maureen Doyle, GRP Secretary & Wetlands Fairy
Green-Rainbow Party member Gloria Caballero Roca
will appear on the ballot in Holyoke's Ward 4 for School Committee
DR Caballero Roca is running for the School Board of Holyoke, MA in the November election for many reasons:
- She is an educator by degree and by experience. Having a Ph.D. in Hispanic Linguistics and Literature with a double major in Latin American, Caribbean, and Portuguese studies, and a second Ph.D. in Gender and Diversity, majoring in Autoethnography, along with two Master's degrees in Latin American Studies and in Women's and Gender Studies, plus a BA in English Language Translation and Interpretation makes her a very well rounded candidate. With experience teaching at high school and college levels both public and private, in national and international contexts, She has experience working with diverse communities, designing curricula, and collaborating interdisciplinarily.
- She is running because she wants to make sure that we talk about and take action on the social determinants of our children's underperforming in school, including housing disasters, polluted water, lack of quality of life, working and struggling families, and depression associated with returning to school after two years of Zooming and lockdown.
RIP Mel King
Mel King, a co-founder of the Green-Rainbow Party, died on March 28, 2023, at the age of 94. He was a respected and renowned politician in the Boston area for over 70 years.
In 2002, Mel King and members of the Massachusetts branch of the Rainbow Coalition merged with the Green Party of Massachusetts to form the Green-Rainbow Party. "A giant tree has fallen in the forest of humanity," said David Barkley, who continues Mel King's community breakfasts. The current members of the GRP party remain grateful for the commitment and grace that Mel King brought to civil rights and diversity throughout his life.
178 Years for Telling the Truth
On March 22nd, Jill Stein introduced Ithaka, at the Somerville Theater.
A moving and intimate portrayal of one father’s fight to save his son, the movie, Ithaka, exposes the brutal realities of Julian Assange's incarceration and of the fight to challenge the United States' threat of 178 years behind bars. The film follows the behind-the-scenes campaign to free the WikiLeaks founder. To many, Julian Assange has become an emblem of freedom of the press, government corruption and unpunished war crimes.
John and Gabriel Shipton accompany this heavily acclaimed film to be shown in movie theaters around the United States.
Save Cape Cod Bay!
Learn the Status of Status of 1.1 Million Gallons of Holtec Nuclear Waste Water Dumping
The Willow Project
Joe Biden's Carbon Bomb
The Ukraine War must end now!
On the first anniversary of the Russian Invasion of Ukraine and the 9th year of Ukraine's civil war in the Donbas, the Green-Rainbow Party demanded Peace, not War across the Commonwealth.
The Green-Rainbow Party joined the Massachusetts Peace Action and others at rallies in Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Ipswich, and Northampton on Friday, 2/24 from noon to 2 PM, and on Saturday in Greenfield.
Think Global, Act Local
3 Municipal Officials Explain How They won Elections as Greens
Joyce Palmer Fortune, Chair of the Whately (MA) Select Board described winning in Massachusetts
The vast majority of Green Party candidates run for local office as opposed to state and national offices. Thirty-five percent of them win. This live webinar on February 22 introduced three Green candidates who were recently elected to city/town council positions. Hear the stories they told about their successful campaigns and contributions to their communities as elected officials. Be inspired by their determination and example. We were.
Click here to watch our Winning Candidates
They Raged Against the War Machine February 19th
Watch Jill Stein, Cynthia McKinney, Tulsi Gabbard, Chris Hedges, Dennis Kucinich, and many others from both the progressive and the
conservative wings of the American activists who are deeply united on at least one point: They speak out powerfully against the war machine and its proxy war in Europe. Listen here.
The Future is Green
Just released! Video by John Blumenstiel. Watch it here.
The Green Progressive Alternative
Doomsday Clock Reset to 90 Seconds to Midnight on Jan 24th!
Our world inched 10 seconds closer to total annihilation in the past year according to the Science and Security Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists which set the Doomsday Clock at 90 seconds to midnight.
Our leading peace activist, Jill Stein, offers the following perspective:
Celebrate Ranked Choice Voting Day in 2023
Voter Choice Massachusetts is celebrating RCV Day by showing folks that RCV really is as easy as 1-2-3. If you haven't already, you can join in on the fun with our multi-winner RCV poll! Your ballot is ready, no sign-up is required.
On Sunday, January 22, 2023, a coalition, hosted by the Green Party, held a Zoom meeting on the Nuclear Ban Treaty's Second Anniversary
Stay tuned for actions everyone in the United States can--indeed, must-- take to demand that their president sign the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW). The power to initiate a global apocalypse lies in the hands of the leaders of nine nations, yet their citizens and citizens across the world do have the mass power to create the political will to ban this possibility. As 122 nations of the world indicated when they adopted the TPNW in July 2017, it is unacceptable that these few leaders of Nuclear Weapon States should hold such destructive power. We must jointly act to avert catastrophe.
Greens, including Jill Stein, former US presidential candidate and co-chairs of the Green Party Peace Action Committee, joined with prominent national leaders, including allies from across the nation Vicki Elson of Nuclear Ban US, and Helen Jaccard of the Veterans For Peace Golden Rule Project, recommended three actions that anyone concerned with the American delinquency on nuclear weapons prohibition can take.
Bigger Than Roe
Greens at the Women's March in Boston
Are you ready to speak out against rising gun violence?
Join Ajamu Baraka, the former Green Party Vice-Presidential Candidate, Green-Rainbow members, and other Greens around the nation.
The Green-Rainbow Party made a difference across Massachusetts in 2022.
Here are a few ways:
- Joined the picket lines to support the successful nurses' strike in Worcester.
- Broadened the Pioneer Valley Chapter to extend throughout Western Massachusetts.
- Sponsored an experienced advocate for the underserved, Gloria Caballero-Roca, in her race for State Auditor, despite the virtual press blackout on third-party candidates. Also managed the campaign of skilled Green leader, Juan Sanchez, who ran against the incumbent Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Interviewed the Boston organizer of mRNA4all, Harvard Medical School student Brendan Eappen, who demanded that Moderna's publicly-supported vaccine be used for public health, not just for private profit.
- Supported the Green challenger and Town Selectman, Michael Lavery, in his bid to unseat three-term State Representative, Smitty Pignatelli.
- Joined with Save the Pine Barrens and Extinction Rebellion in challenging AD Makespeace's plan to convert environmentally easensitive cranberry bogs into large industrial solar projects.
- Welcomed the report of our Central Mass member, Brian Mulhearn, who attended the Annual Conference of the Latin American Global Greens held in the Dominican Republic.