Title: GRP Strategic Growth Plan 2012
Sponsors: Darlene Baisley, Patrick Burke, Elie Yarden
Contact Info: [email protected]
To be vetted by: Membership & Diversity Committee, ComCom
At the State Committee meeting on October 22, 2011, a Strategic Planning Working Group was created to collaborate, deliberate, and generate preliminary findings. Here is a summary of what that proposal did:
1) It encouraged us to review our history, present situation, and future possibilities
2) It included drafting specific goals within specific timelines
3) It forced us to think long term and better prepare for the 2012 State House elections
4) It helped us identify tasks, roles, and clarify responsibilities
5) It identified the pieces that will help us to improve fundraising and promotion of the party
The following requests were made of those willing to join this working group:
1) Commit to giving at least five hours per week for one month.
2) Complete a preliminary finding by 11/23/11.
3) Review strategic planning materials and familiarize oneself with the subject of strategic planning.
4) Identify GRP problems, weaknesses, strengths, opportunities, and threats.
5) Suggest improvements in how we organize and communicate and move forward.
6) Propose specific goals by certain timelines in regard to volunteers activated, new voter registrations, fundraising, new chapters, recruitment of GRP candidates, communication campaigns/publicity, etc.
7) Draft Action Items that the State Committee could consider as important next steps.
8) Provide a framework for continuing and improving this process to develop a long term Strategic Plan if the working group finds merit in this exercise. If the working group finds there is not sufficient merit for continuing this process, an explanation will be forwarded addressing the reasons for that conclusion. In either event, the project members commit to completing the process to this point by 11/23/11.
9)Members of the State Committee, in supporting this proposal, agree to read and consider the preliminary finding and make an individual effort to address the contents of such a report within two weeks of it's release.
The Strategic Planning Working Group has completed the above tasks and goals. Specifically, it has generated Action Items as suggested priority next steps for the State Committee and the GRP. This current proposal for the January, 2012 StateCom meeting requests the State Committee to formally adopt the preliminary findings and suggested next steps.
It is proposed that the State Committee formally endorse the preliminary findings and Action Items presented. The Strategic Planning Findings include goals for 2012. While we may or may not achieve all of these goals, setting some goals is an important component to measuring success and achieving the purposes of the GRP. The findings provide a framework for continuing and improving this process to develop a long term Strategic Plan. Endorsement of support for the preliminary findings does not indicate complete consensus. However, this current proposal requests general support for the spirit of this document and the additional documents presented, as well as encouragement of continued deliberation and discussion regarding the current content and future additional materials. Lastly, this proposal specifically requests that the State Committee accept the Action Items below as priority next steps for the GRP.
Those Action Items are the following:
A) Adopt a Strategic Plan with specific goals that are measurable within a timeline--ONGOING
B) Prioritize data management with system and volunteers in place--COMPLETED
C) Incorporate best practices regarding internal communication in regard to: 1) online 2) meetings 3) conference calls 4) person to person--NEXT PRIORITY STEP
D) Implement self evaluation procedures wherever possible--NEXT PRIORITY STEP
E) Strengthen organizational structure that includes clear roles and responsibilities. Write a Membership Manual for volunteers, leaders, and various positions.--NEXT PRIORITY STEP
F) Begin recruiting 40 women and 40 men elected to the State Committee who serve with competence and commitment to the party and the ten key values.--ONGOING
G) Build teams, but prioritize a Communications Team that is effective, innovative, and creative, with 2/15/12 Suggested Deadline: Recruit Volunteers for Communications Team, One Volunteer Coordinator-15+ Members)
H) Develop stronger GRP candidate standards and begin strategically recruiting by mid February the best candidates possible for StateHouse elections
2/14/12 nomination papers open;
5/1/12 nomination Signatures papers due
Budget Impact: None, or positive
A list of tasks based on each Action Item will be generated and acted upon by StateCom and AdCom as well as any other pertinent committee.