Hello, my name is Michael Lavery and I am seeking signatures on my nomination papers to run for State Representative in the Third Berkshire District. Due to the recent redistricting efforts in the legislature, the Berkshire Third District is the former Fourth District, minus a few towns and with the addition of Dalton, MA. The current incumbent is William “Smitty” Pignatelli, Democrat, who has held the office since 2002. I decided to run last year and recently took out papers to get on the ballot. The redistricting talks make it an interesting contest, since “Smitty” will have a lot of new constituents to meet in Dalton, with a population of over 6,500 as of the 2020 census.
- My belief is that climate change is an existential threat to our survival and the time to act has long since passed. We cannot count on the two major political parties and their disbelief in climate change on the one hand, or empty promises on the other. We need to elect officials at every level of government who want to make the radical changes necessary to stop hydro-carbon emissions. In order to pay for the radical changes, including how we do business, how we travel, and how we create energy, we must tax those who have disproportionately benefited from the exploitation of our natural resources: multinational corporations and the wealthy.
- Medical costs are insane in America and healthcare is not guaranteed.
- More prisoners incarcerated than any other country, 2.1 million
- The drug war is a failed policy. I would sign on to any initiatives at the state level to decriminalize personal-use quantities of drugs. Countries like Portugal and now one state, Oregon, through measure 110 have decriminalized drugs and it didn’t cause complete anarchy like some people think may happen.
- LGBTQIA+ rights are Human Rights
- As a Select Board member in the town of Becket, I have added four EV charging stations to the town hall parking lot. I removed single-use plastic bags from stores in town and created a new trail on town land for folks to hike and other open space uses.
Join Us April 9th Meet and Greet Signature Party - at Becket Town Park and Pavilion (next to the town hall at 557 Main St., Becket, MA 01223). Rain location will be the basement of Town Hall in the Community Room. Check out my webpage at https://www.michaellavery.com/ .
Press Links :